Friday, April 27, 2007

Day 117 - "You tried to eat a boy band for lunch!"

160.0 on the scale ($!&%*@&$@). 70 minutes of walking on the path, dunno how far, dunno how fast, 100/70.

So, last night's happy hour manifested itself on the scale. Damnation. However, I just had the most disgusting culinary experience I've ever had, which resulted in me all but skipping lunch.

So we had a FUNCH1 for Dave at Taco Morelos.

Being the conscientious dieter that I am, I thought it best to order some soup, especially after last night's merriment. On the menu were three kinds of soup; a seafood soup and a shrimp soup, both of which had italicized descriptions of what was in them under their names.

Then was the third called Menudo.

It had no description, so I asked around the table, "Anyone know what menudo is?" After the not-unanticipated Puerto Rican boy band jokes, it was generally assumed that it was probably something with a chicken broth, veggies, maybe some chicken. You know, I'm thinking tortilla soup at that point.

So I ordered it.

Yeah, then the waitress set it in front of me, and there's a fucking bone with greasy fat still clinging to it in the middle of the bowl. There were also chunks of things in it -- mystery chunks that moved very strangely, like meat with fat, but with a really weird texture. I couldn't tell.

Part of me didn't even wanna know. But my spunky little producer friend sitting across from me did want me to know. So she asked.

The waitress responded with something like "Hmm, I don't know the word, one minute." and she dashed off to consult someone. A moment later, she came back and very matter-of-factly said, "Cow stomach".

OMFG.

Not a vegetable to be found, all chunks of cow stomach and bone. I tasted the broth, but that's as far as I could get.

The longer it sat in front of me, the more I wanted to ralf. I think she noticed, so after awhile she came back and said she'd be happy to quickly make me whatever I wanted instead - but it was my mistake. I should have asked.

I have learned a very important lesson today: if there is something on the menu and you don't know what it is, don't order it until you've asked someone who knows. If I ever say the word "menudo" to you, that's what I mean to say. Heed the warning.

1 Fun + Lunch = FUNCH!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the boy band is way tastier...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menudo_%28band%29

Lady Crazy Pants said...

The truth shall set you free!!!!
*wink*

Anonymous said...

Well written article.