Monday, May 5, 2008

A Long Hard Winter

Hi there. Remember me?

It has been a year since the intended deadline to hit my weight goal – the venture that started my blogventures – and I thought that might be as good a reason as any to start up again! And now that Spring has sprung, it is a time for new beginnings. So here I am.

Now all I have to do is get my faithful handful of readers back and the world is set right again. (I know at least Mom will be back, because every time I see her she drops the ever-so-subtle “I really miss your blog, son” on me.)

So, I stepped on the scale this morning, as I have done every morning, and it registered a nice 156.0 even. That’s success, folks! I took it off, I kept it off, and I’ve improved my health significantly (and maybe even got better looking? tee hee) in the process.

I dare say, I’m proud of my own self!

And so now that I’ve started again, I intend to keep at it.

So yeah, it has been a long hard winter, for many a reason. The obvious is the crapload of snow and poopy weather turns we’ve dealt with. I’m surprised more people didn’t slit their throats. I swear, they said it was gonna snow just this past Saturday and I thought that if it did, I just might be tempted.

We had an unexpected death in the family, my Grandma Hummel, a handful of weeks ago as well. As Grandpa’s primary caregiver (alzheimers), her passing has forced a lot of hard changes on Grandpa and my parents and aunts and uncles. The hardest change to hear about is how lonely Grandpa is in his new home, and particularly hard because he’ll tell you, and mere minutes later forget he said anything and tell you all over again. I’ve never seen Grandpa as vulnerable and human and just plain real as I have in the past few weeks.

There are a lot more reasons this winter was difficult, spanning such things as loss, friction, tough realizations, admittance, meanderings, health matters and more that I really can’t get into in this forum, but suffice it to say, it has taken its toll on me and many around me. I’m not really one to let on much, but people see it. I’ve been called on my lack of spark a few times now, but the good news is that it is Spring, and things are looking up.

More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK!!! Yaaaay.

I'm glad for everyone but definitely you that winter is finally DONE. Hopefully things will continue looking up...