Sunday, November 1, 2009

Return of the Bluebird

With as nice as it was outside today, I felt I should really get out and run on the path in the sun rather than the suffer the treadmill again, which has just seemed tedious lately.

On the return leg of my loop, I was visited by a bluebird again for the first time since July of last year. Call me superstitious or "out there" or whatever you will, but there's meaning in things like this. And the fact that I saw one today literally stopped me in my tracks.

Last year when he appeared, a few reader-folk let me know some of the meaning behind it, but with his timing it seemed like I should maybe dig a little deeper for some additional meaning.

"The bluebird is a guardian of all passages and transitions that we make or are about to make. We speak often of the bluebird of happiness, and this is rightly so. It makes our movements more fertile, productive, and protected so that we can attain the happiness we need in life."

"Although once common, they are now quite rare. This often is a reminder that we are born to happiness and fulfillment, but we sometimes get so lost and wrapped up in the everyday events of our lives that our happiness and fulfillment seem rare."

Ya know, you can take a jaded view of the world (which I most certainly have in the past) and say that it is just coincidence, having seen this bluebird today. But you can also look at all the little micro-events that had to happen to allow for it and the context in which it happens and kind of be amazed.

I mean, I really didn't feel like working out today -- I had been out last night and had a few drinks. I didn't get enough sleep. I could have taken a nap instead, and thought about it seriously.

But I didn't.

I could have gone to the gym again instead, and maybe should have because I get a $20 discount if I get enough visits in each month.

But I didn't.

And so I ended up there, on the path. With a bluebird fluttering about me.

There has to be meaning in it. All things are tied together by little microfilaments that we don't understand, but it is in those connections where the meaning lives, so I'm choosing to pay attention.

I'm also going to be paying attention to every song that comes up on random on my iPod today. That little magic box knows things too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What came up on your Ipod?

Anonymous said...

I am packing up my bluebird to bring him with me!

Anonymous said...

Good! It is only right. :)