Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Damn It Cecil! Take a Chill Pill.

So, I was up late last night again. Too late.

I'd just went to bed and had successfully drifted off when I heard a loud, dull commotion going on somewhere outside my room, but inside my house. It was loud enough that, even amidst my slumber, I got a little of the "fight or flight" adrenalin rush stirred up but as I gained a little bit of consciousness, I rationalized it away by sleepily cursing my goddamn cat for getting whatever wild hare he had up his ass that would made him run around out there and collide into walls repeatedly like an idiot.

It made sense at the time.

Until the second crashing sound, a couple minutes later.

It was clear then that this was no cat. Shit was goin' down out there, and since I didn't have the boys with me last night and it couldn't be them, I best cowboy up and see just what was what.

So, vulnerable and dazed as a naked mole rat, I sheepishly opened the door to a pitch black hallway to face whatever dangerous creature was wreaking havoc upon my casa. My heart was beating a little fast when I reached jerkily for the light switch, and flipped it on.

Would I see some nefarious invader after the extensive loot everyone knows I have in my crackerbox of a house?

No.

I'd see a hallway closet who's shelf had torn free from the wall, flung the closet door open and spilled its 40 pounds of contents onto the floor in front of the bathroom, including two cases of Lipton's Diet Green Tea with Citrus and assorted coats, vacuum attachments, and my inventory of lightbulbs.

Luckily, nothing had broken. Well, except for the closet.

But I saw that coming. I'd noted that the shelf was kinda listing a few weeks ago, and frankly was biding my time until I had occasion and dollars to fix it. Well, my time ran out at 2:45 in the morning.

I kinda shoved what I could back in there into a big pile and shut the door, resolving to deal with it later.

So, tonight, after I picked up the boys, we went to Home Depot and bought wire closet organizer shelves and stuff, and I done fixed it up goooooooood. It now has TWO shelves that can hold like 60 pounds each (that's two small children!), and one of them is about 4 inches deeper than the one that ripped itself out of the wall.

So my closet is GLORIOUS now.

Merry Christmas to me (and Little House), and for Christ's sake Cecil, let me sleep in peace tonight!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Welcome back kid. I've been wondering where you've been......blogging on another site perhaps? Why didn't you just call the landlord? That what renters are suppose to do.

bhummel said...

Yeah, but if I'd have done that, he'd just put the old piece of crap up there again! I'm going to ask him to be reimbursed for the work I did.