Monday, January 1, 2007

The Ground Rules

Since I started thinking about doing this again, I've been thinking about ways to make it more effective and less burdensome-feeling, so here are the results of that thinking. This is a living/breathing post in that more rules might get added, and modifications might happen to existing ones.

The Goal:
155 by May 5th, 2007. How'd I come up with that? They say according to my height that I should be between 133 and 165 (see here and look somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9"), and I'm aiming for the recommended maximum for people 25 and younger, which is 155. Granted, I'm not exactly 25 anymore, but I'll hold on to the feeling long as I can and maybe this is one more way, so stop shooting me that look.

The Plan:
I have gone back on Weight Watchers since it works well. I'll be counting points on the Flex Plan, and will generally obsess about how to eek the most food out of the fewest points. It means I will consult my phone for points values and will take longer to order if you're out at a restaurant with me, and means I'll be thinking more before cooking.

Hell no I'm not going to meetings (this forum is public enough for my tastes), but am using the online program they have, as well as the tracking software for Palm on my phone.

Weigh-in Methodology:
I know there's two camps of people out there when it comes to weigh-ins - the "dripping wet out of the shower" camp, and the "mid-day wear" camp. I'm firmly in the dripping wet camp. No need to conjure images in your head, just sayin'. All weights, unless otherwise indicated, are measured in the morning as the maker made me. (added 1/2/07)

Exercise:
I will be jumping on the treadmill for a minimum of a half hour at least five times a week. If I am unable one day, I'll make it up by doing an extra half-hour the next day. Once new episodes of Heroes are back on, I'll almost definitely be on for an hour on Monday nights, and I'll probably be using my Netflix account more now again, watching movies in small half-hour chunks.

The Beer Rule:

Okay, I like a beer or 3 every now and then. Well, so as not to remove all pleasure from my life, I'm not giving it up. I am allowed one beer a day should I want one, but it has to be a Lite beer and of course I have to count the points for it. Tastes Great. Less Filling.

The exceptions to the one-beer limit are on:

a) Holidays and associated family events
b) Special occasions like birthday celebrations, company parties, etc.
c) Particularly horrible/exceptional days

Exception c is of course, not to be abused. However, there are days as a small business owner that can be rather shitty (valued team members resign or get recruited away), or worthy of celebrating (our latest pride-and-joy project launches, or we land a big client) and so there must be an exception to accommodate such days.

The Coffee Shop Coffee Rule:
Another of my problem spots comes from coffee shop coffee -- not the coffee itself, but the hazelnut shots and the cream. SO, I am endeavoring not to partake in either, but instead to buy the coffee shop coffee if I need it, and then add my own fixin's to it. Fat Free Hazelnut Creamer, and Sugar in the Raw. (added 1/2/07)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This beer rule seems sort of fishy to me. I see all your points, and they make sense, but they also leave more than just a foot in that door...

Donn Ha said...

True weight loss can only be accomplished with whiskey.

Diana said...

wow, this is all very official. ok 2 things:

1)Particularly horrible/exceptional days - my friend J and I call this "window shopping". It's code for "want to leave work at 3:30 and go drinking somewhere where we won't see people from work?" very neccessary.

2) Coffee shops. Oh. My. Lanta. My downfall. Especially caribou. For 2 reasons: sugar and $$$! Sometimes I get a nonfat sugar free vanilla latte instead. I'm trying to just do french press at home with milk and sugar in the raw though.

Anonymous said...

I don't know...I'm still a skeptic when it comes to this beer exception thing. Can we add a new rule where everyone around you can look at you disappointingly when exceptions come up?

For sure when anybody sees the exception being exercised, we can comment on here. Public shame...