Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day 241 - Hitting The Ground Running

159.5 on the scale. 5.0 miles on the path, 4.0 of it running, 150/0. Gave the arms a break, they were wobbly yesterday.

The air is getting a little bit crisper with each passing day.
Fall smells near, and tired leaves begin absent-mindedly falling.
Soon we'll be picking apples and pulling out sweaters.
And shadows will get longer as daylight escapes our grasp.


Yeah, I get philosophical (if not poetic) running as opposed to walking.

You know what I think it is? It's the fact that you have much more time to consider less.

On a bike, you're crusin' along doing 12-15 miles, people and scenery whizzing by. You're balancing. You're trying not to get bugs in your teeth. You're switching gears. But running and walking, you're in an almost autonomic physical state, covering a third of the ground in the same amount of time, which leaves you plenty of time to take in what's around you.

I mean, I even played peek-a-boo with a squirrel this morning.

Anyway, I had a dentist appointment at 9:15, a 2-hour block scheduled to take care of a couple chipped teeth, one of which is a far-back big-ass grinding tooth that chipped off at Olive Garden awhile back while eating a soft and chewy breadstick. They expected to have to manufacture and install a crown.

As luck would have it, it was ALREADY a crown, and some of the porcelain had just chipped off, so the doc just ground it down and buffed it up and I was good to go. He said I was rather lucky today, and that I should consider buying a Powerball ticket.

Yeah, I'll spend a litte time back-filling the days I've been missing again, mom. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back......I was getting tired of "nothing"! Good to hear about the tooth. Also, what's up with the long 2 weeks out of the office period? Fun and games I hope. Keep typing. Cause Mom's always watching!

bhummel said...

The two weeks is for that MYOB Conference in San Diego. I'm road-tripping down there and back and the conf is a 4 day thing smack on a weekend in the middle of it.