Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Day 402 - Super Tuesday!

157. 0 on the scale, 3.0 miles on the treadmill, almost all of 'em ran, and 150/100.

I'm liking this running in the morning again thing. I oughtta get into the habit of this regularly.

So, I've never participated in a caucus before.

This morning, first thing I did was head over to the school where the DNC caucus was, to throw my two cents into Obama's hat. Oddly enough, it was full of students!

Yeah, that's when I learned that the caucuses weren't until 6:30 tonight.

So after work, I got home, quickly fed the kids while Jo was at an appointment, then packed them in the car to go to the school again, telling them it'd be a quick thing, and they'd get to be involved in a little piece of history perhaps.

I'd intended to cast a vote quickly, then drop them home afterwards, which would line up nicely with the time Jo-Anne got back, and then I was gonna head to Ikea to get some more pieces of furniture for the office.

Well, when we finally got in the school (traffic was nuts) and then through the chaos to figure out what room we needed to be in, we discovered there was a meeting agenda for this caucus thing.

An agenda? That ends at 8:30?? Two hours??? Crap.

We sat in the back a little while and tried to listen to the couple people that were in charge try to tell the small crowd -- the majority of which clearly had also never been to a caucus -- what was to be expected this momentous evening.

Well, I had to get the kids back and get to Ikea, but I wanted my two pennies in the Obama hat too. After stressing a bit, I just decided finally to write "OBAMA" on the ballot they game me (a little handcut, blank slip of pink paper) for the non-binding presidential preference vote, drop it in the official ballot box (which was a Converse shoe box with a slit cut in the top of it), and scurry back out of the political process that was to ensue. Caucus schmaucus.

Wow.

I know this is just for the party nomination, but this was about as down home, grass roots as it could get?

A shoebox?

No comments: