Saturday, May 24, 2008

Productivity & Elbow Grease

156.4 on the scale, 5 miles on the path, about 4 of them ran, and 150/100.

So, today has been quite productive all 'round, and the weekend just started!

Friday night, Cory was at a friend's place then wend with them to see Iron Man at the Excelsior Dock theaters, which left Cole alone with Ma and Pa for the night.

We stoked up a campfire, grilled some burgers, and then Cole and I decided to pitch our tent and watch Muppets from Space in the tent on Daddy's laptop with a big-ass bowl of buttery popcorn. I had not seen it, and frankly, did not realize until they threw some special effects at us that the movie was made in 1999! Anyway, after the movie was done, Cole retired to his own little one-kid tent (he wanted his own private tent in case Cory decided to join us when get got home, because Cory is a sleep-farter), and we hit the hay.

Saturday morning, after both enjoying and suffering through the birdsongs that started at 5 a.m., I set to readifying the boat for this year's maiden voyage.

The first step was to retrieve the prop, which had been rebuilt over the winter, and bring it back to put back on the boat. Upon picking it up, when they asked if I had the wrenches and everything, I said "Hmmm, best I bring the boat HERE and let you put it on." Which I did.

I also bought a can of upholstery cleaner, and after towing it back, I started scrubbing down the white upholstery, first with a brush and soapy water (and elbow grease), then with the cleaner. Lemme just say, that shit is amazing. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures, because the difference is astounding.

That, and the charging of the battery, pretty much took all day. By the end of the upholstery cleaning, I was sore as hell, but managed to get out and run before supper.

While I was running, the boys and Jo set up the soak n slide thingy, and had some fun.

We were all invited last-minute to go next door to Alex & Nina's to join them and their family/friends for a potluck, so Jo ran quick-like-a-flash to Cub and got some stuff to contribute, and we headed over there and pretty much ate ourselves silly.

Their friends/family were a lot of fun, so we all had a good time. Also, their little girls idolize Cory and Cole despite the some 6+ years in age difference, and that's always fun to watch too.

That said, Cory got in one of his obnoxious pre-teen moods where he belches as often and as loud as he can (fueled of course by giggly laughter from all the other kids), and after enough warnings, he got sent home. Shortly after that, Cole and I followed to get them ready for bed, and Jo stayed over longer and shut the place down.

So, all in all, a pleasant mix of productivity and fun, and I think a pretty successful first day of the long weekend!

No comments: