Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cracker Box, Sweet Cracker Box

I'm happy to report we arrived at the resort somewhere around 4:30, after a ride in which we stopped a number of times. We stopped at a Pancheros and had burritos which were considerably tasty, but that ate up some time since we had to sit down to eat.

We then had to stop a ways further up the road because I noticed out of the rear view mirror that the boat cover was flapping way more than it should be. This is the first time we've traveled any distance with this boat and this particular cover, and the cover that I bought apparently SUCKS. A number of the loops for strapping it down had been ripped out, and the bungees were gone, so it is gonna be a fun challenge getting home with it intact too. Guess I gotta buy a new and better one.

Anyway, the cabin is indeed a cracker box. We spent a little time getting everything settled, the biggest challenge was the kitchen. There are no cupboards or enclosed storage space of any kind, just 6 shelves that are a foot deep and two feet wide. Had to do some consolidation of the pots and dishes and stuff to make room for the foodstuffs we need to survive, but I managed to whip it into operational shape.

The kids and Jo hung out at the lodge and ordered a pizza there for dinner, while I went by myself into town to do the grocery shopping, which I always enjoy. Dropped a good chunk of change but think we're pretty well covered for the week now. Burgers, dogs, spaghetti, softshell tacos, plenty of fruits and veggies, etc etc.

I spend the evening having a few beers and washing and chopping all the vegetables and fruit, which I also enjoyed. The rest of the time I spent tryiing to capitalize on the weak weak data signal I get on my phone to try to use it for internet on the computer. At best, that's fleeting and resulted mostly in frustration.

No real voice or txt coverage, but I have sporadic data signal at the resort. So I'm an island. :)

Things we forgot:
Filet Knife
Chef Knife
Cooking Spray

On the brighter side, things we remembered that we usually don't:

Good ground coffee
Crockpot
Full range of condiments
Dishtowels and dishrags
Ziplocks & tinfoil
Stereo to hook the iPods up to
ALL our bikes

So begins our cabin vacation. Tomorrow, we'll put the boat in the water and get it parked at the dock.

No comments: