Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day 231 - Boat's In The Water, And The Grill Has Been Fired Up

Dunno what I weigh, but 19 miles biking on the highway and 150/100.

Today we sort of lounged about the cabin in the morning. I was gonna make pancakes but the boys just wanted cereal, so they had their crunchy goodness and I dozed in bed. It was another cool cloudy day, no warmer than 62 degrees at best.

When I got up and about, I took the cover off the boat, unpacked the bikes with the boy's help, then put the battery back in and got it hooked up. When I did that, I found the culprit that keeps draining the battery. It's the depth finder. It keeps turning itself on, there must be some sort of short or moisture shorting things or something.

Anyway, we took the boat over to the launch, got it in the water and Jo drove the van and trailer back as me and the boys boated to the dock. The lake seems low or something, because I keep hitting bottom. I thought I broke the prop right off the bat, but luckily there was no damage.

So we got the boat docked, then I changed into some biking clothes and packed the bike into the back of the van and drove into town, where we explored the little mini street fair that was going on in town on main street. They had some inflatable bouncy and slidey things, which the boys helped themselves to. Only later did we find out we were supposed to have purchased a $10 wristband for each kid to have access to such frivolity. OOPS!

Most of the stores on main street were closed, so after we'd had our fill of what was open (a bookstore and a candy store and a couple fancy schmancy shops), we went and did a little grocery shopping for things I'd forgot or things we realized we needed after the fact. Then I saddled up on the bike and started riding the 19-mile trek home while the kids and Jo drove.

The ride went pretty smoothly. It's the farthest I've ever done, and I did it in about an hour and 10 minutes or so.

For supper, I made some potato fries in the oven, some mixed vegetables on the stove, and grilled up some burgers on the Coleman. Veggie burgers for Cole, of course. Later in the evening the resort owners fired up the bonfire and made batch after batch of kettle corn for everyone. We left around batch 9 or 10, and after a little while in the cabin, I laid down and ended up falling asleep.

The boys spent a fair amount of time biking around, playing in the lodge, setting up their iTunes music libraries on the family computer, and playing carpet ball. They even had the balls to swim in 62 degree weather while I was making supper. We'll see what tomorrow holds in terms of weather, but I think we'll get up and fish in the morning. Or at least try.

No comments: